Re: [dev] [sic] srw - simple read wrapper

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:32:43 +0100

On 24 Jun 2010, at 20:14, pancake wrote:

> And 9term does not support ansi or control codes.

My position is I would be using 9term if I could, but I'm having
trouble with it on one machine. I probably could put in the work
needed to make it work (and p9p in general not conflict with 9base)
but it doesn't seem worth it.

My reason for using 9term is precisely _because_ it doesn't support
more than one or two control codes it can do other things, like today
it allowed me to tweak text in a program's output so I could more
easily compare it with the output of the same program in a different
environment. When long lines are wrapped, widening the 9term window
'unwraps' them; very nice for readability. This is found in one or two
full terminal emulators, but so few that it must be hard to implement.
Hold mode is a *beautiful* facility which would not integrate well
with a full terminal. I think it would have to be incorporated into
the shell, or readline.

Huh, having written that I'm wondering if I should be trying harder to
fix 9term. :)