Re: [dev] How about sta.li ? - libc tangent

From: yy <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 23:36:48 +0200

2010/8/1 Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>:

> Along with support servers this could
> ultimately give a very complete Plan 9 experience without any of the
> performance issues of virtualisation or the other issues of 9vx.

Do you know what would give a more complete Plan 9 experience? Plan 9.

I can see the beauty of a GNU-free staticly linked system, it is
indeed an interesting project, but it woulld not be too useful for me.
The reason I use p9p/9vx on top of unix is because of all the shit I
cannot run on a native Plan 9 system, and all that shit (X and web
browsers included) is from my pov the real challenge of the project.
But why running Plan 9 tools on top of a crippled Unix? I'd really
like to know a real use-case where neither a native system neither
glibc are feasible solutions.

That said, it would probably be easier to fix the issues with 9vx than
what you are proposing. Performance is not a real problem, and it can
be improved. Bugs can be fixed (let me know if you find any issues).
And if 9vx does not fullfill your expectations, just use the real
thing.

--
- yiyus || JGL . 4l77.com