Re: [dev] curses samterm

From: Wolf Tivy <wtivy1_AT_my.bcit.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 21:41:50 -0700

I find it useful to be able to edit files using my regular editor
after I break X, or if I don't feel like starting it up.
I like curses stuff even in X because it is nice to open up an editor
and have it tempoarily reuse the terminal window without spawning
another and thrashing my layout. Furthermore, as a bit of an
aesthetic concern, curses editors inherit the color configuration of
the terminal, which is convienient if you are into making things look
nice.

It was suggested before that a curses interface would be a good
idea, so I am assuming that I am not the only person who would
appreciate it.

I might be happy with the p9p samterm, but I can't figure out how
to get it standalone from the rest of p9p, or what kind of
aesthetic variations are possible (font?, color?). These issues are
not that big on thier own, but combined with the whole X-dependant
thing, it just doesn't seem worth it.

So that's my view on why a curses samterm is a good idea.
If noone is interested, I will survive with nano, but if people are
interested or if someone has started, I'm willing to throw some
time at it.