Re: [dev] [dwm] number of tag limited?

From: Simon Parent <sboparen_AT_uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 19:06:22 -0400

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 4:50 PM, thuban <thuban_AT_singularity.fr> wrote:
> Le Thu, 5 Aug 2010 18:59:29 +0200,
> yy <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> 2010/8/5 thuban <thuban_AT_singularity.fr>:
>> > Just a question about dwm, is it possible to have more than 9 tag?
>>
>> You can define as many tags as you want in your config.h file.
>>
>> > My question is, could you create tags only if they are needed (a
>> > window moved in, on drawn in), just like in wmii. I already had
>> > written this question, but no one semmed to know if it was possible
>> > to code.
>>
>> Yes, it is possible. Just check that the window is not being used (you
>> can use occ) in drawbar to not draw them. You will also want to modify
>> buttonpress.
>>

> Well, I suppose I have to read carefully the code to find a way for
> this.
> However, I'm surprised that this is not the default use of dwm. It is
> supposed to be suckless, and on my own, I think having "opened tags"
> that are useless (meaning with no window inside) sucks at least a
> little.
> So, let's read and try to code a little, as if I'm e real beginner for
> this :) . It must be a good training.

I just changed the colour scheme in drawbar() so that unoccupied tags
are invisible (by making the text colour the same as the background).
This was enough for me, as I was mostly concerned with the visual
noise of all the unoccupied tags.

The unoccupied tags aren't completely useless to me. I prefer to move
to an unoccupied tag and then open a new application (as opposed to
opening the new application and then sending it away), so I need to be
able to view unoccupied tags.