Re: [dev] wrap: minimalist archiving tool

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 04:54:25 +0100

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> I've written a tiny archiver, which I've called "wrap" for lack of a
> better name. It is 120 lines of C, and yields far smaller archives
> than tar while overcoming the various crippling limitations of ar. It
> does, however, only store files - subdirectories are implicit.
> Interestingly during testing the best compression results came from
> our very own sflate.

The one thing that leaps out at me is that there's no checksumming of
either the individual files or the whole the archive file performed,
so if you give it a damaged archive you won't be able to tell or
isolate the damaged files. To be fair, whilst tar appears to only
checksum the file headers, so it you go and "damage" a tar archive
outside of that range it doesn't detect it, but then being better than
tar is, as you noticed, quite a low hurdle :-)

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision reasearcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com