Re: [dev] [patch] xmms like pattern matching for dmenu (update to hg tip)

From: Arian Kuschki <arian.kuschki_AT_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 03:20:57 +0200

Excerpts from Uriel's message of 2010-08-10 02:01:40 +0200:
> This seems like a rather clumsy, non-standard and silly way to
> implement globbing.
>
> Implementing * and ? wildcards would be a much better idea.

I've been using the original patch for a while already and I find it
easier and quicker to type "dme atc" than "dme*atc". Also personally I
never needed the increased granularity of "*" and "?" for filtering,
neither for bookmarks, file names, contacts nor executables. And
finally, with shell-like globbing the sub strings could not be in
arbitrary order I guess which would be inconvenient. What is your use
case?

(And by the way if you want to see a truly borked matching algorithm,
try the Command-T Vim plugin)