Re: [dev] Re: [wmii] wimenu custom completion

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 05:31:01 -0400

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:15:41PM +0200, LuX wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 09:19:52PM -0400, Kris Maglione wrote:
>> You'll need to replace the // line with { print; fllush() }. I'm
>> afraid that if you use mawk it's hopeless.
>
>I'm using awk. Your first variant, modified as above, works perfectly.
>Thank you so much for your very kind and detailed answer!

Sure, no problem. I wouldn't have known that the man page was
broken otherwise.

>>Message de LuX: ven. 13/08/10, 12:15:41 +0200
>>Which language is it, perl?
>
>Please forget about this…
>:-(

Good. I was trying to think of a way to ignore it politely. :)

>I completely support this point on POSIX utilities (although I only
>very vaguely know what POSIX means). For end users like me it's easier
>to learn the basics of any common language like perl than to master
>shell programming with fancy pipes and redirections (this is
>incredibly smart and subtle, in my opinion). This makes such example,
>although very hard to understand, extraordinary valuable: I would be
>completely unable to find them by myself.

I don't know. See the attached perl version. I think it's
considerably more arcane than the awk version (but, then again,
perl is the bastard child of awk). Perl is a hard language to
love, but for some reason, it's my go-to language for text
processing.

>By the way, how did you guess that 'complete a command and then files
>in the current directory' is precisely the kind of utilities I was
>looking for? Would that mean that other people, even in this list, are
>considering this as a useful alternative to opening a terminal? (Or at
>least a fancy alternative, let's be honest.) No, I can't believe it…
>please look at this:

I didn't. ;) But it is the main reason that I added the
completion facility to wimenu.

>On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 02:15:01PM +0100, Martin Stubenschrott insisted:
>>What I wanted to suggest was adding completion for arguments. I meant,
>>after pressing tab someone obviously wants to add arguments. And why not
>>help the user also with argument completion.
>
>On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:08:06 +0100, Anselm R. Garbe closed the debate:
>>I think the right place to achieve what you want is the shell,
>>which supports this task already. dmenu is designed to run
>>simple commands only.
>
>Well, this might be today the main difference between dmenu and
>wimenu, except if A.R. Garbe has changed his mind in the mean time. As
>we say in France: « il n'y a que les imbéciles qui ne changent pas
>d'avis » (only idiots never change their mind).

Normally I make it a point to disagree with Martin (some of our
disagreements have been epic). But in the case of dmenu, I don't
especially care what it was intended for, so much as what I
found myself using it for. I wrote wimenu because I tended to
rely heavily on dmenu for commands that I wanted to launch
without keeping a terminal around. Its lack of caret support and
command history caused me no end of headaches, when I would type
out a moderately long command and realize I'd made a mistake at
the begining and have to start over, or realize after I'd
submitted it and have no history to go back and edit. It's
actually gotten a lot better since Connor took over, but wimenu
still fits my needs (and aesthetic) better.

I do agree, though, that a program like wimenu or dmenu has no
place providing builtin completion. They're meant to be simple,
and to serve a lot of purposes, and trying to shoehorn anything
other than basic 1-level completion into them is messy and feels
wrong. Even the basic file completion plugin feels wrong to me.
For any use other than launching commands, the results make no
sense. It also just doesn't feel like the Unix way. This is why
I left completion up to the program executing the menu. It knows
what it's running it for better than I do.

--
Kris Maglione
Learning is not compulsory.  Neither is survival.