Re: [dev] [wmii] wimenu custom completion

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:51:55 -0400

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:37:54AM +0200, LuX wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 21:19:52 -0400, Kris Maglione wrote:
>> But if you're looking for a start, this is the above modified to
>> (crudely) complete a command and then files in the current
>> directory:
>
>I have an issue with this second variant, which I didn't notice first
>and am unable to solve. Whether I quit it with Return or Esc, the
>result is the same: the input string is sent to stdout. If you still
>want to help… I'm stuck here.

Yes, I already fixed that problem when I made it into an example
file for distribution. Attached.

>> This is why I left completion up to the program executing the menu.
>> It knows what it's running it for better than I do.
>
>---> I think that this is very clever!
>
>Bash completion is excellent, but not customizable (as far as I know).
>Thus I do agree that it is a good thing that wimenu comes with a much
>more elementary completion (it is not intended to duplicate bash), but
>fully customizable (it allows to do other things, even those that bash
>can not).

Bash completion is actually written in bash, so it's very
customizable. This is also why it can in theory be used to
provide completion results for wimenu, if someone well enough
acquainted with its internals puts his mind to it.

>Example: In bash I have always been missing a history behaving like in
>vim. Let me explain this. If you have typed a long command 'cmd' at
>some moment and want to repeat it, you will probably want to use the
>history. Bash will then display successively all the (possibly
>numerous) other commands that you typed in the mean time, while vim
>while jump directly to 'cmd' provided you type only the beginning of
>it. Using bash history inside wimenu with your script (the 'second
>variant' mentioned above, which I called 'wim' in another post) allows
>to recover this nice behaviour of vim, which eventually makes wim a
>significantly BETTER way (in my opinion) of typing commands than to
>use a terminal.

Just add this to ~/.inputrc:

     C-w: backward-kill-word
     C-p: history-search-backward
     C-n: history-search-forward

Although I believe C-r brings up some kind of incrimental search
dialog. I don't use bash though, so I'm a bit rusty.

>PS: I haven't been able to access
>http://lists.suckless.org/dev/att-5538/menu.pl
>I take you at your word if you say that it is 'considerably more
>arcane than the awk version'. Anyway this is one more reason to 'make
>a point of only using POSIX utilities in examples' as you said.

Hm. Silly pipermail. I take it you're not subscribed to the
list, then? I'll paste it inline below, although I've a much
more sophisticated version now (attached).

#!/usr/bin/env perl
use warnings;
use strict;
use IPC::Open2;

my $proglist = `wmiir namespace|tr -d "\n"` . "/.proglist";
open2 my $procout, my $procin, "wimenu", "-c";

sub quote(_) {
     local ($_) = @_;
     return $_ unless m/[\[\](){}\$'^#~!&;*?|<>\s]/;
     s/'/''/g;
     "'$_'";
}

my $oldoffset;
sub update(&;$) {
     my ($choices, $offset) = @_;
     if(not defined $offset or $offset != $oldoffset) {
         $oldoffset = $offset || 0;
         print $procin $offset, "\n" if defined $offset;
         print $procin $choices->(), "\n\n";
     }
}

sub readout(@) {
     my ($mode, $expr, @rest) = @_;
     open(my $fd, $mode, $expr, @rest);
     join "\n", map {chomp; quote} <$fd>
}

update {readout "<", $proglist};

while(local $_ = <$procout>) {
     chomp;
     unless(<$procout>) {
         print;
         exit;
     }
     if(not /.*\s/) {
         update {readout "<", $proglist} 0;
     } else {
         my $offset = length $&;
         $_ = substr $_, $offset;
         $offset += length $& if m{.*/};
         update {readout "-|", "ls", @args, $_ || "."} $offset;
     }
}

--
Kris Maglione
When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when