Re: [dev] [mkpkg] a suckless package manager

From: Jimmy Tang <jtang_AT_tchpc.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 19:05:14 +0100

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 11:41:41AM +0200, pancake wrote:
> Your idea is simpler and closer to gnu package system or pkgsrc. But without reusing code. Which means that you have to specify the full compilation rules for every pkg, this is also an issue if you plan to use other tools like wget/ftp/.. And imho keeping track of files and having support to remove packages are some basic features of a package manager :)
>
> In fact this week I have been working in slpm a lot. More to add features than to keep code clean. So it's full of XXX and TODO atm :) but the result is pretty good.
>
> Now its about 500LOC and supports checksumming of files, dependencies, many more packages, creation of chroot environments by detecting missing libs and supports binary and src packages.
>
> I also added 2 scripts:
>
> genpkg: converts a installed pkg of debian/arch/gentoo into a slpm one.
>
> genimg: generates an ext2 file with a bootable rootfs with the contents of the slpm packages installed in _prefix.
>
> I've used this to do some games with kernel and userland via qemu. And resulted to be the simplest way for me to setup such environment.
>
> Next weeks I'll probably be cleaning up the code in slpm and fixing some bugs. I plan to use slpm to create "extensions" of the OS inside a directory or a chroot. I find it useful for testing apps from hg/git/.. Without trashing system and keeping track of files.
>
> I use it in the n900 and my archlinux laptop. Next platforms for testing are iOS and android.

I don't suppose slpm will support post/pre-install hooks as well? and
the capability with "doing things" like setting environment variables
according to the dependancies that are defined?

I'm interested in seeing the updated slpm code on your upcoming
releases, since I've recently forked cports (which is a forked version
of http://staff.e.kth.se/mpkg/) to package up scientific applications
which often don't come with sane build systems.

--
Jimmy Tang
Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,