[dev] Re: [dev] Re: [dev] Re: [dev] Re: [dev] [dev] Usage, -h, --help, help, synopsis, …

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 17:12:13 +0100

2010/8/18 Alexander Teinum <ateinum_AT_gmail.com>:
> I’d like to write a KISS option parser that accepts “program -c -a -f
> some_file”, but not “program -ca -fsome_file”. I prefer to keep the
> rules simple.

Such a simple option set probably doesn't actually *need* a parser. I
don't think any lines would be freed up in dmenu. You'd just add code.
It's got a for loop and a list of strcmps, plus usage(), which could
be done with a goto but I wasn't sure if that's "suckless". It's
really the simplest implementation out there.

> Is it okay to use three dots in the usage text? (See echo’s man page.)
> I think it means that you can repeat what’s before the three dots.

I think "files..." means 1 or more file, and "[files]..." means 0 or more.

> How do you feel about sorting the options? Should it always be done?

I think it should be in the order the programmer gives them. Some
options may be more important, for example.

cls