Re: [dev] [surf] URI handling, with patch

From: Alex Puterbaugh <puterbaugh0_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:30:23 -0400

>On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 06:52:40PM -0400, Ryan Mullen wrote:
>
> The first problem is a simple patch, but I'm not sure what is the best
> approach here. As far as I can see, I think it would be best to assume
> that URIs without "://" in them are actually file:// types, and
> http:// should be required for all http:// type URIs. It would be
> trivial to insert a leading "http://" to the URI using shell tools if
> a scripting solution is required, and in many cases, the "http://" is
> already in place. A suggested patch is included in this mail, though
> it isn't great because I'm using an extra struct stat for data that I
> wind up not using, and so there is unnecessary overhead.
I think you could use access(uri, F_OK) or access(uri, R_OK)
instead of stat() if you just want to test the existence of a
file.
> As far as I know, the dmenu problem is a feature for one set of users
> and an issue for another set. I wouldn't know how to please everyone
> on this. Feedback appreciated.
Indeed, there probably isn't a solution that would please
everyone. The suggested integration is of course just a
suggestion :). I think there are some other replies to this
thread with some alternatives that might make you happy.