Re: [dev] A language similar to Markdown that sucks less

From: Anh Hai Trinh <anh.hai.trinh_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 23:59:42 +0700

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Alexander Teinum <ateinum_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn’t want to start a completely off-topic discussion in the
> typesetting thread, so I created a new thread. I’m playing with the
> idea of creating a language that is simple to read like Markdown, but
> that has a stricter syntax. It looks like Common Lisp. I think the
> parser should be implemented in Go.
>
> (h1 A heading)
> (p This is (strong awfully) nice.)
> (h2 Another heading)
>

> Or, it could be written this way…
>
> (h1
>   A heading)
> (p
>   This is (strong awfully) nice.)
> (h2
>   Another heading)
>

> There might be a rule that says that the first level doesn’t need the
> parentheses…
>
> h1 A heading
> p This is (strong awfully) nice.
> h2 Another heading

I've written something you might like. It can do both open/closing
tags and by indentations.

http://www.trinhhaianh.com/NEST.html

It looks like this:

\html <

\h1 title
\====

\====< This is a comment but can be used decoratively, like the one
under the \\h1 >

\div[class=content]:

    \p You may close off the tags by indentation (notice the ":").

    \blockquote:
        Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets
        deface what they take, and good poets make it into
        something better, or at least something different.
        â€” T.S. Eliot, The Sacred Wood

\p You can do inline \b<bold text>, \code<\em<λ>x. x+1>.

\p I personally when you can nest arbitrary tags after each other
(hence the name), e.g.

\footer \div[style="float: right"] \p Yours truly

I have written the parsers using PLY (Python lex/yacc), which can
output HTML or ElementTree: http://github.com/aht/nest

--
@chickamade