Re: [dev] Usable typesetting system?

From: Martin Kopta <martin_AT_kopta.eu>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 00:13:10 +0200

> >Also, work with images is pretty much impossible
>
> Can you elaborate? Do you mean that it is hard to draw an image or
> it is hard to include an image or it is hard to predict where the
> image will end up in the document?

I meant that placing images is pretty much imposible and if you try anything
else than 'place image randomly somewhere', you are doomed to fail, spitting
blood of rage. That itself isn't the core issue. Problem is designing page
layout by your own will, which is kind of /unsupported/.

> For ConTeXt you can download context minimals. The install size is
> around 200MB (most of which is fonts), which is much smaller than
> TeXLive that can be around 1GB.

Everything with size of MB or more is just too big.

> >I am currently looking for some replacement with:
> >
> >* input as plain text (NOT xml)
> >* simple syntax/commands/language
> >* output as PDF (acceptable as thesis), may be indirectly
> >* usable compilator (readable overall output, warnings and errors)
> >* overall good design
> >
> >I guess my demands are too high, but if you know about something interesting,
> >please, let me know.
>
> ConTeXt fits all points. The error messages in ConTeXt are more
> readable than plain TeX/LaTeX, but still somewhat cryptic if you are
> not used to TeX error messages.

I will try ConTeXt then.

> Aditya

Thank you,