Re: [dev] [patch] dmenu - support for xft font rendering

From: Arian Kuschki <arian.kuschki_AT_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:18:51 +0200

Excerpts from Ethan Grammatikidis's message of 2010-09-01 19:00:17 +0200:
> Connor Lane Smith wrote:
> > If someone were to write a simple clean xft patch for libdraw it could
> > be useful, perhaps even integrated into mainline.
> This may just be my limited perspective, or it may be my upset stomach
> talking, but I'm very surprised to see xft seriously suggested in this
> mailing list. Xft is (to me) synonymous with the transition of X.org
> from something bad but usable into a black box nightmare best left to
> distro tools to cope with. Maybe it wasn't so bad for other people,
> maybe it got better.

I can't comment on the code complexity, but I do wish there was support
for proportional fonts and other typographical niceties in
terminal/ncurses apps. Not directly related to Xft I guess, but longer
texts (email/rss feeds...) in monospace look rather unpleasant. It would
be awesome if swk could reconcile the simplicity and efficiency of
suckless tools with some basic regard for typography.