Re: [dev] [patch] dmenu - support for xft font rendering

From: hiro <23hiro_AT_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 20:56:22 +0200

Kris said:
> I'm currently planning to replace the godawful
> fontconfig XML configuration on with a Scheme-based lookup
> system which may save my sanity, though.

Please do so! I'v configured my current setup with wget, but this
doesn't get the job done at all.

> Admittedly, the newer auto-hinters do a decent job of this these days

The freetype autohinter?
http://freetype.sourceforge.net/autohinting/hinter.html#screenshots
Perhaps this is outdated, but it looks horrible to me.

Hinting patents have expired and any distribution should now be able
to include the proper bytecode interpreter.