Re: [dev] [OT] Music?

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:27:20 -0400

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 10:03:11AM +0200, Antoni Grzymala wrote:
>Kris Maglione dixit (2010-09-08, 19:05):
>
>> On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 03:21:52PM -0700, Paolo wrote:
>> > Alban Berg, Arnold Schoenberg, Debussy, Satie,
>>
>> Schönberg. 12 Tone... Ah, would that he were never born.
>
>Please don't create a suggestion that Schönberg only (or even mostly)
>created 12-tone music. He personality and artistic development is a
>truly fascinating process in which 12-tone composition was a chapter
>that he basically started getting out of as soon as he got into.

The technique was essentially has, and is widely attributed to
him. More importantly, though, he did more to popularize it
than any other compuser. Don't misunderstand me, I think he was
a brilliant composer, and I especially love some of his earlier
work. I just have a cultivated disdain for postmodernism. For
most people, it's little more than a phase, but I can't stand to
see charlatans and mediocre artists elevated above masters in
certain circles because they're so hard to understand that
people assume they must be good. And, for the same reason, I
can't stand to see exceptionally talented artists doing the
same.

--
Kris Maglione
Organizations which design systems are constrained to produce designs