Re: [dev] [OT] Music?

From: Joe <joebsullivan_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:36:21 -0700

[09/09/10] @ 7:38AM PDT, himselfe_AT_gmail.com wrote:
> I don't believe suckless is a term that can be used to accurately
> describe music because taste is subjective. Even the term 'well
> constructed' can be somewhat subjective in music. For example,
> somebody randomly mashing a piano might seem like a masterpiece to
> some people, and pretentious and uninteresting to others.

When I saw this thread I thought of _The Catcher in the Rye_. Holden
Caulfield rants about a piano player in this club who was:

        … putting all these dumb, show-offy ripples in the high notes,
        and a lot of other very tricky stuff that gives me a pain in the
        ass. You should've heard the crowd, though, when he was
        finished. You would've puked. They went mad. They were exactly
        the same morons that laugh like hyenas in the movies at stuff
        that isn't funny.

Or the Replacements:

        I hate music
        Sometimes I don't
        I hate music
        It's got too many notes

Of course it's subjective, but something that's pretentious and full of
bells and whistles *just for the hell of it* is pretty easy to spot for
the discerning ear.