Re: [dev] [dwm] tagging interface

From: Wolf Tivy <wtivy1_AT_my.bcit.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 16:13:08 -0700

> What should we do for programs which need controls which don't
> repeat? Make a new kind of input device which looks just like a
> keyboard but
> which isn't because keyboard keys repeat, by definition?

Obviously some programs do need non-repeats, in which case, by all means, jump thru the hoops to get them. If you do it without needing it, it just makes your program act differently from the default, which is confusing.

> The tradeoff here is: adding the change would increase lines of code,
> but would save cpu cycles.

The saving in CPU is only if the user is leaning on the keys for more than a half second, the extra code is always. On my machine (996MHz Pentium) the CPU use goes to 15% when I hold view, 3% if I hold tag. The situation is so obscure (user holding keys deliberately) and the consequences so irrelevant (oh look i can waste 15% cpu) that it doesn't matter. I can make it go 100% if I do `while true ;do echo "hello, null" >/dev/null; done` but you don't see bash special casing that to a no-op.