Re: [dev] Using a different rendering engine for surf

From: Wolf Tivy <wtivy1_AT_my.bcit.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:15:26 -0700

> Instead of going the NetSurf route, I would suggest to re-use the
> chromium source code, even if it's much more monstrous than webkitgtk.
> surf could become a headless chromium where each surf window behaves
> exactly like a chromium tab (+ some dashboard surf window on demand
> like for downloads etc). What we care is the user interface. We can't
> fix the web or browser implementation(s) anyways.

I've been thinking of this too. A hackable chromium without the gui and tab
crap would be awsome. How feasable is this? What form would it take? If
chromium is modular enough it could be drop in replace for webkitgtk,
if not it could end up as a fork or some kind of mega-patch. IIRC, chromium
is friendlier to static linking, being mostly static already. Is ths correct?