Re: [dev] [sta.li] Minimalist Live Distro

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 19:07:12 -0500

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Then WTF is Samba for? CIFS servers?

Yes. Also it ships with a bunch of shit related to joining Active
Directory domains.

> Kdrive seems nice. It probably won't support the USB mice that are
> connected to the computers I'll use this on, but I should be able to
> do away without them. Will have to make sure the browser I choose
> supports following links using a keyboard (one-dimensional
> tab-navigation doesn't count).

Evdev is available as an input driver for kdrive. As long as your
kernel properly presents HID USB devices, you'll be fine.

> True, but in theory, one should be able to write one of support for
> JavaScript, images and other multimedia is not required. Heck, Dillo
> or NetSurf with UI enhancements would fill my needs. Granted, they
> don't have that zen-minimalism we love - but they suck less than
> mainstream browsers.

No reason dillo won't run under kdrive.

> WebApp VM is a DHTML virtual machine, or a JavaScript VM that
> implements DOM, CSS, HTML, XML and related W3C and WHATWG
> technologies.

So, psychotic monstrosities then. Got it.

> What init do you recommend for something like this? Or what's your
> favorite init? I've grown a bad distaste for Gentoo's OpenRC (heck, it
> runs *on top of /sbin/init*). I don't have any experience with any
> other init system, though.

Someone here recently posted about an init based on mk, which seems
like it might not be terrible. I'm currently trying to write a set of
slackware-inspired init scripts in rc but it's not going very quickly.
 Look at openbsd's init, it's reasonably sane. The gentoo project has
never produced anything worthwhile.

--
# Kurt H Maier