Re: [dev] dmenu patch to return all matching items (for a new dmenu-powered music player interface)

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 15:24:06 +0000

On 11 November 2010 14:59, markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de> wrote:
> In contrast to the filter mode, with caseless matching you would *see*
> that it behaves differently. And you see which item will get printed.

Fair point, though considering your vi example it is like hitting 'i'
and it telling you that it's doing something else. Yes, it's behaving
differently, and you can see this, but you don't necessarily know why.
Though I will concede that it has less potential for harm.

On 11 November 2010 14:02, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> With Dan's filter mode every entry gets highlighted, but starting with
> the one selected. How to indicate this behaviour isn't very obvious.

If you read the patch it loops from highlight to null, then from the
first item to the item before highlight. I'm not sure what Dan's
motivations for that behaviour are -- perhaps just to give the
highlight meaning -- but that's how the patch works.

On 11 November 2010 15:16, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> You're not actually considering pushing this into mainline dmenu, are you?

I personally don't think we should, unless the patch becomes widely
used (like how we merged in cursor and vertical), but I think this
discussion about dmenu modes is important regardless (in terms of
patched copies, for instance).

cls