Re: [dev] dmenu patch to return all matching items (for a new dmenu-powered music player interface)

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:37:37 +0000

On 11 November 2010 16:00, Michael Farnbach <noble.oblige_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, this brings up a question.
> I've noticed that suckless's apps push as many configuration items into the
> compile time as they can (just a high-level observation, I'm not saying it
> is actually a rule of thumb.)

This is certainly true for dwm, but no longer for dmenu tip: all
configuration is done at execution time. dwm needs a config.h so you
can add tags and layouts and such without having to patch the main
source file, whereas dmenu has no such need.

> So would the choice between a dmenu filter and a dmenu, well menu, be made
> at compile time? There is no more clear place to understand what mode you
> are in then typing in 'dfilter' instead of 'dmenu'.

I think this is a messy solution. If you want something like this, you
can just name the flag, eg, '-filter', and/or set up an alias.

> In fact, if one were to start from scratch, wouldn't they make a dfilter in
> a cleaner, simpler way?

Definitely no, we tried something like this for dmenu / dinput, and it
just made everything a bit fail.

cls