Re: [dev] dmenu patch to return all matching items (for a new dmenu-powered music player interface)

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:55:59 +0000

On 11 November 2010 18:36, Michael Farnbach <noble.oblige_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Would you say that dwm, being a much longer more persistent environment
> manager, benefits from the stability of being only one configuration for the
> duration of that session? Conversely, dmenu, is more instantaneous and has
> application that may be within many environments?

The only reason I really think dwm has a config.h and dmenu doesn't is
that dwm has more to configure, such as complex layout algorithms,
which can only be sensibly defined at compile time (unless we
introduce scripting, which is obviously not what dwm is about). dmenu
doesn't need these things.

> I also know that works both ways. Also, they are all only arguments, whether
> as a switch or the name of the program itself. I see no difference, but I'm
> open that there is a difference I'm not seeing.

It would certainly be possible to check for !strcmp(argv[0],
"dfilter"), but I don't really see the point of having lots of links
to the same binary like this would require?

On 11 November 2010 19:25, Moritz Wilhelmy <crap_AT_wzff.de> wrote:
> Excerpts from Dmitry Maluka's message of Thu Nov 11 19:17:26 +0100 2010:
> > C++ish declarations should be removed. Patch attached.
>
> It's actually C99-ish declaration and thus valid.
> Declaring loop variables before the loop is pointless.

It is, yes. If you want a C89 patch try the one I've attached, which
declares the variable at the beginning of the scope, rather than the
function. It's a bit nicer when you have a long function like keypress
imo. Btw, config.mk by default specifies C99, though dmenu also seems
to compile with C89.

On 11 November 2010 19:40, Peter John Hartman
<peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I've made this request before, and always get yelled at, but it would be
> nice if dmenu had a config.h file which allowed one to override the default
> keybindings, set a default color/font, and so on and so forth.

I will throw together a patch and we'll see what people think.

cls