Re: [dev] anyone played with mkinit?

From: Andy Spencer <andy753421_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:10:58 +0000

On 2010-11-07 19:57, Uriel wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 4:50 AM, Jens Staal <staal1978_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://9fans.net/archive/2009/10/375
> >
> > https://lug.rose-hulman.edu/svn/misc/trunk/mkinit/
> >
> > apparently still with bashisms due to issues with rc (does not mention
> > which) but seems cool and perhaps something for sta.li?
>
> Any issues with rc are no excuse for bashisms, actually there is never
> any excuse for bashisms, /bin/sh should be more than enough.
>
> Also the use of svn is a bad omen.

The two main issues that I remember with rc were:
  - Rc left zombies laying around, sh/bash reaps them
  - I couldn't figure out how to correctly re-exec rc on /dev/console in
    order to get job control working.

It'd be great if someone knows how to fix theses :)

As for bashsims, there are a few, I figured if I was going to have to
use sh instead of rc, I might as well go with bash.
  - Use "$@" and the like because sh doesn't support lists like rc.
  - The getopt/eval/read commands may be bash-specific.
  - Use the `history' command since the console doesn't have mouse
    support for copy-paste by default.
  - Uses readline (via read -ep) for line editing.

As for svn, it's not my favorite either, but at the time it was easier
to just add it to an existing repo, which happened be using svn.