Re: [dev] Re: [dmenu] [patch] add xft and fix possible memory leak in version 4.2.1

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 16:18:20 +0100

On 22 November 2010 15:26, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> On 22 November 2010 12:01, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I prefer to keep cleanup() even if it slows down the performance
>> (which I doubt will be noticeable) just for the sake of keeping the
>> symmetry that the code that allocates resources also deallocates them.
>> This might sound a bit pedantic and useless in case of dmenu, but I
>> prefer to be consistent here.
>
> I think that pedantic and useless code for the sake of consistency is
> more at home in GNU software than in Suckless. If code is provably a
> waste of time and space it should have no place in dmenu. If memory
> was allocated during use I would agree with you, as a leak would be
> possible. But it isn't.

Well no cleanup sounds rather like GNU to me tbh.

Anyways, if it was just about the items that are malloc'ed I would
probably agree. But it is also about cleaning up acquired X resources
properly. Not doing this somehow violates the style of X clients. If
an X window is created, I would destroy it on exit. Similarly I would
free pixmaps and ungrab the keyboard. It's just about good style, not
about saving every possible line of code. Complex cleanup is also an
indicator for a broken data structure. So if the cleanup can't be done
easily, then we should start from scratch. But this isn't the case in
dmenu.

Cheers,
Anselm