Re: [dev] git dmenu mirror with feature branches instead of separate patches

From: Julien Jehannet <julien_AT_smaf.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:16:56 +0100

2010/11/22 Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>:

> I don't mind if you set up a git repo where each patch from the
> website resides in a separate branch, but I think you just organise
> the existing approach just differently. You don't fix the problem,
> which is having a suitable process to determine the best feature set
> for the software by default. So far the patch based approach was good
> enough to count the downloads and to decide on popularity or necessity
> of some patches to be applied to the mainstream repo at some point.
> And everyone can easily add a patch file to the wiki, apart from
> having a central place for the patch files.

Hello,

Just to mention the possibility to record patches into hg patch
repositories instead of the wiki.

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/MqTutorial#Indicate_that_you_want_to_use_mq_on_this_repository

The advantage is to have a dedicated repo to clone and a possibility
to select what patch to merge by editing series file (and there are
more chances to update them this way).

For example with a patch repo named dmenu-patches, you have to link
this repo to dmenu/.hg/patches. But note this solution is not
immediate since you have to set an alias (not sure but should be done
directly in .hgrc with mercurial 1.7):

  alias mq='hg -R $(hg root)/.hg/patches'

BW

--