Re: [dev] [hack] Having dmenu provide hints about current selected entry

From: Christophe-Marie Duquesne <chm.duquesne_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:33:51 +0100

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be> wrote:
> the delay caused by dmenu waiting for stdin input to be complete
> is noticeable.

Actually, while performance also matters, the thread thing is not
primarily a matter of fast processing. It is just that if you wait for
the input to finish before allowing the user to interact, you miss the
point of allowing feeding additional entries to this input from the
suggestions (since these suggestions can only happen once user can
interact).

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> No, to do this would be trivial. It's just that certain suckless
> people are rather aggressive to the idea of using pthreads for
> anything.

I was more or less aware of this but did not see any other options.
@Troels: I did not know select(), but I am going to read about it.

> The first aspect of your patch, the incremental output, already
> exists.

Thank you, I did not know about it.

> The threaded input is neat, and I am perfectly willing to
> add it into dmenu proper. Though I expect others will not share that
> willingness.

It isn't. I experimented a crash when messing with it, so expect to find bugs.