Re: [dev] [hack] Having dmenu provide hints about current selected entry

From: Christophe-Marie Duquesne <chm.duquesne_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:42:36 +0100

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> With vanilla dmenu
>
> seq 100000 | dmenu
>
> works instantaneously for me. I see some 2s lack if I increase to seq
> 1000000 | dmenu though.
> But is 1M items a usual scenario? I kind of doubt that and the 2s
> penalty doesn't sound too bad imho.

Again, this is not a matter of performance. Hints can be provided only
once the user can interact. If you read, _then_ allow user
interaction, you cannot add hints since you don't read anymore. You
have to allow interaction _while_ still reading if you want to feed
dmenu with hints from what is currently being typed.