Re: [dev] Problem building dmenu tip

From: <crap_AT_wzff.de>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:08:05 +0100

Isn't suckless supposed to use a portable subset of Makefile that's understood
by most make-programs?
Relying on gmake is usually a bad idea, even if it's present everywhere. I try
to keep my makefiles portable by - for instance - using

.c.o:
        <rule>

instead of

%.o: %.c
        <rule>

which would be a GNU extension.

Just sayin'. Writing portable makefiles is perfectly possible for our
simple needs. (In my opinion, it's even possible for projects far larger than
ours). Do yourself and us a favour and test your makefiles using bmake before
deploying. Packages exist for $LINUX_DISTRO!