Re: [dev] [st] Separating the wheat (terminal emulation) from the chaff (X)

From: Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:58:18 +0100

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org> wrote:
>  Back in an old thread on st goals, there was some good discussion of
> modularizing the terminal emulation part of st to allow the attachment
> of other, non-xlib-based front-ends. I don't see it on the goals wiki
> page, but I'm interested in helping with this goal if others are in
> agreement with it. I presently use both st and dvtm on various
> platforms/OSs/capabilities and I'd like to consolidate the two projects'
> efforts. I'd also love to see some movement on the goal "Server to save
> session in case you crash X" (should remove the word X, though), but I'm
> not as motivated there since dtach is reliable for me.
>
> Thoughts? -Ross

I think it's a great idea. When I started working on st my main focus
was dealing with the terminal stuff, not the graphics.
I just hopped someone who actually know what he's doing with X11 [1]
would rewrite the relevant code. Unfortunately it never happened.
I've not mentioned it in the other thread, but I've already started a
"libterm" on my own. Right now it's mostly terminal-related functions
from st working on a term_t type.

[1] : At one point, bold text was drawn 2 times with a small offset to
make it look larger :)