Re: [dev] [st] Separating the wheat (terminal emulation) from the chaff (X)

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:11:14 +0100

On 01/20/11 16:20, cryptix wrote:
> Is a scrollback buffer really that usefull? I always get lost in them...
> Personally I'm much more comfortable with the history of my shell and less, grep or all kinds of other programs for long output.
> But I'd love to hear how you guys feel about this.
>
> kind regards,
>
> cryptix
I tend to use the scrolling, mostly when I type a command, and the
result is longer than expected, so it doesnt fits the window.

I know that scrolling is a source of problems (because of different
widths), limit of buffer,
slower scrolling, more memory consumption, etc.. but it is sometimes useful.

I would like to have it, but i recognize that it is a source of
problems. So maybe we should
not think about it or add it as a patch until we find a decent way to
implement it.

what do you think?

--pancake