Re: [dev] Recent vain attempts at suckless Web applications

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:57:31 +0000

On 23 January 2011 01:35, carmen <__AT_whats-your.name> wrote:
> Camping is decent, but i found it uneditable (without breaking), too much metaprogramming insanity

_why (the original author of camping) certainly loved his
metaprogramming. Sinatra can be considered its spiritual descendent,
though some thing is missing.

> i wrote a small web daemon, and it is an email client, a media player,a directory browser on crack and a lot of other stuff. 2500 lines now, but it replaced every other app i ever used besides irssi and dwm

I sometimes make little web interfaces to my daemons so I can interact
with them easily (I remember someone gave this practice a name; does
anyone know?). I guess it's just an extension of that. I'm not sure
I'd go so far as to migrate completely though -- web apps seem to
break more than their native equivalents.

But all in all I appreciate this whole thread: for better or for worse
a lot of people dislike the shell. And it has its faults, despite its
speed and convenience. Anything to bring the power of Unix to more
people is good in my book. (Especially pipes.)

Btw I actually love your desktop. I get so tired of these dull
'calming' colour schemes. Don't sell out!

cls