Re: [dev] which minimal os

From: Pierre Chapuis <catwell_AT_archlinux.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:29:50 +0100

 On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 09:06:38 +0100, Benoit Chesneau
 <bchesneau_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Archlinux could be good, I used it in the past, but for sure I'm not
> sure I want to use it again. Mostly due to some members of the french
> community though. So it may be a bad reason ..

 Yep, bad reason :) Just stick mostly with the English-speaking
 community.
 My locale is C anyway.

 I use Arch these days because it usually Just Works (TM) and I don't
 have much time but other simpler Linux alternatives include Crux (*)
 and Tiny Core. Thanks Jens for the link to the 9vx/TC distribution
 by the way.

 Otherwise, I still use Minix3 from time to time. It is interesting,
 especially since it has pkgsrc, but sadly still lacks ports.

 (*) The link with ArchLinux is the same as the one between Minix
 and Linux: Judd Vinet was a Crux user when he started Arch. He
 liked its ideal of simplicity but wanted binary packages.

--
 Pierre 'catwell' Chapuis