Re: [dev] Not Using a Window Manager?

From: Patrick Haller <201009-suckless_AT_haller.ws>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:48:43 +0800

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 09:32:40AM +0100, Anselm R Garbe wrote:

> If you understand some of the C functions of dwm as Unix processes
> than you are pretty close to realise, one can play things pretty much
> Unix like, but if the LOC adds up dramatically at the bottom line, it
> is probably not worth it.

One of the many things I like about surf is the SETPROP hack. Using X11
properties as IPC seems like a fertile and ignored technique.*

I think there's a great deal of good in making it easy for people to
hack things up and then piece them together. Adding X11 properties in
would help, so whether someone wants to try a different layout engine or
something, they can hack it up in perl or pure or whatnot.

Patrick

* yes, i'm declaring ICCCM/EWMH a wasteland for users. There's only apps
and window managers in there. With surf, it's easy to check for any
about:blank windows, send one a URL, unmap it, and push it on the things
to read queue; or any number of inane things users do. ;)