Re: [dev] How do you cope with OSX? (if at all)

From: Rob <robpilling_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:06:52 +0000

On 18 March 2011 12:07, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 March 2011 13:02, Enno Boland (Gottox) <gottox_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm using MacPorts and XQuartz to run dwm on my air. It works ok, but
>> in the longterm I want to replace macos by linux.
>
> In my impression running Linux natively on Mac hardware sucks -- tried
> it on the MacBook Pro, but seems that Linux freezes every 2 hours due
> to overheating the hardware.

I have a friend who dual boots with Fedora on his MBP, think he's
switching entirely over (no idea why he doesn't just sell it).
As far as I can tell he's had no problems, he had to write an
initscript for the backlight (and enable it from osx first) but other
than that, it's fine.

He can even access some gyroscope via sysfs which seems pretty
snazzy.

Rob.