[dev] wmii: sticky windows and xinerama

From: Gmail <nathan.middleton_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:18:07 -0600

Hi,

I'm trying to get a window to remain sticky based on whether it is moved onto a secondary display or not. Based on that I've added an Event tag for AreaFocus:

Event AreaFocus
    if [ $(echo "$@" | grep -c ":") -gt 0 ]
    then
        wmiir xwrite /client/sel/tags /./
    else
        wmiir read /tag/sel/ctl | head -n1 | wmiir write /client/sel/tags
    fi

Initially this seemed to work fine, until I moved to another tag. At that point the 'sticky' window is moved by wmii back to the primary display and the AreaFocus event is triggered writing the /client/sel/tags back to whatever the current tag is. Not what I was hoping for of course, because I'd like to use the extra monitor is a kind of "storage" for windows. Ideally it would be advantageous to move documentation, irc, etc to this monitor and have them stick there regardless of tag.

Is there a way to reliably do this? I imagine it could be scripted further but seems it would become quite messy, quickly.

--
Nathan Middleton <nathan.middleton_AT_gmail.com>