Re: [dev] [surf] arrows

From: Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:11:50 -0400

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 04:19:40PM +0100, Swiatoslaw Gal wrote:
> Do the arrows are intend to be useful with surf?
> I experience strange behaviour. First hit takes me to the the
> top or bottom of the page. Then they allow me to scroll.
> Is it a bug or a feature?
>
> I did try to define bindings in the config file, but then it messes
> with desired behaviour in pages with forms.
>
> Is there a reason (not) to bind home/end buttons?

This is a known mess in surf. Or I should say a conceptual mess, a mess
that, as far as I can tell, only implementing modes would fix. On the one
hand, you might be tempted to bind Up/Down to replace C-j and C-k. Then the
"strange" behaviour won't occur, of course. But *then* if you try to use Up/Down
in a textarea box it won't be treated as an Up/Down but a C-j/C-k. Which is
(I think) more annoying than the original annoyance.

The solution is to train yourself to never hit Up/Down and rather aim your
fingers at C-j/C-k. PgUp/PgDown work fine, fwiw.

I'd be happy to hear of someone who has a quick-n-dirty solution to this
problem.

Peter

--
sic dicit magister P