[dev] Re: [dwm] "reload" configuration?

From: Marcin Cieslak <saper_AT_saper.info>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:46:21 +0000 (UTC)

>> Benjamin R. Haskell <suckless_AT_benizi.com> wrote:
> But beyond that, looping or manually launching dwm doesn't solve the=20
> problem that all the tag information is lost between restarts. wmii=20
> gets around it by dumping the tag information into X props (still loses=20
> layout info, but keeping the tags is far better than dumping everything=20
> onto a single tag). Has anyone patched dwm to do something similar?

Why don't you start dwm somewhere as "dwm &" in your .xinitrc/whatever
and use xterm as the "last resort" application to keep the X server running?

dwm &
xterm

I was running for a long time for this - you just kill dwm (from xterm or
otherwise) and then I do whatever I want from the xterm (launch dwm again).
I used this mode to hack .h files a lot. The only downside is that you
have all the windows again on the screen.

//Marcin