Re: [dev] [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 15:31:51 +0100

One thing you should know about netsurf is that there are
a few different frontends which work on linux. You're
looking at the GTK one, which is naturally heavier on
dependencies. The other major one is a 'framebuffer'
frontend, which is a generic api which can hook into x or
directfb.

I think their RISC OS frontend is the most mature, though;
the underlying html rendering code is nicer than the linux
GUI code.

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 04:19:25PM +0200, pancake wrote:
> 1) keyboard support sucks (no way to change between tabs, and no way
> to switch between text fields, links, ... with tab)
>
> 2) dependencies:
> Depends On : libmng librsvg curl libglade lcms libjpeg>=7
> libwapcaplet libcss

I think glade is specific to the GTK client, and some of
those others may be too. But generally that's a pretty
compact list for a web browser.

> I don't get the point of not distributing netsurf as a library... it
> would be great if this project was just producing a standalone
> library and a simple client implementation.

netsurf is basically a client implementation of a few
different libraries; see
http://www.netsurf-browser.org/projects/ A simple client
based on some of these should be do-able.

> 3) where's the javascript? most modern websites works only with
> javascript. there'r tons of libraries to run it.. maybe you will
> say: "js sucks".. but the web is made of it, and you can't ignore
> it.

I suppose that depends on what kind of web you use. I don't
use js very heavily, and would be happy enough to have
another slow, buggy browser for the times it's needed. But
yes, js support is in progress, apparently. No idea of the
status of it.

> 4) possibility to filter or ban ads? (custom js fun? custom css stuff?)

I use privoxy for this; browser independant and generally a
local proxy seems like the right place to do this sort of
stuff.