Re: [dev] Why dwm or wmii over xmonad, etc., or not?

From: Nathan Neff <nathan.neff_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 20:18:51 -0500

Wmii is the best choice, hands down.

The other WMs assume way too much. I like dwm second best.

Here's the plusses:

1) Wmii does tagging /right/. Want to have your editor, browser and
terminal in a "dev"
tag? Done. Want to have your editor in your "debug" tag as well? No
problem. You decide
what tags to assign, and any window can belong to multiple tags.
Other WMs with "tags" are
just wannabes. They're nothing more than OSX "Spaces". An
application should be able to
belong to any tag, and be positioned differently depending on the tag.
 Wmii does that, and does it
really easily.

2) Want to see only one window at a time? That's only a keystroke
away. Want to control
how your windows are created / laid out? No problem. Want to switch
your windows to a different
"layout"? That's configurable also. Want to forget about "layouts"
altogether? Great idea.

2.5) Easy / sensible defaults. Sorry but Emacs-style "shortcut keys"
are an oxymoron. Any window manager
that uses Emacs "Key Chords" is immediately disqualified. With wmii you switch
between windows and tags with 2 keystrokes max. It's a no-brainer.

3) Extremely configurable. Want to write your config in bash? No problem.
Want to write it in Ruby, no problem, want Python? that's there too.
I'm sure you could
write your config files in the language du jour like Lua if you're so inclined.

I use Suraj's Rumai and it rules. I have tons of stuff configured,
like "switch to the previous tag", and
"show me the other tags where this app also lives" -- this is very
handy when I want to stay in my text
editor but see my console or tests instead of the application /
browser. Then I just switch back to "dev" mode
and start coding again 'cause the focus is still in my text editor.

4) Wmii has the most sensible defaults, and gives you a great setup
out of the box.
The other WMs like Awesome, etc are way overdone with regard to the
1000s of layouts
you start with that nobody in their right mind would use. In
addition, they very rarely
allow you to tag windows w/multiple tags.

Other tiling window managers SUCK!!!

Here's wmii's minuses;

0)