Re: [dev] [dwm] devilspie doesn't work

From: errno <errno_AT_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 23:47:35 -0700

(for the tl;dr folks - nothing to see here, move along)

On Thursday, May 05, 2011 10:28:03 PM Uriel wrote:
> There is no justification whatsoever for transparent terminals.

From a purely sociological/psychological standpoint, I can't help but be
fascinated with this sort of reasoning.

I'm honestly curious why one would take on the belief that something
such as transparency of a software terminal needs any further
justification beyond curiosity and/or personal preference - aesthetic
or functional or otherwise.

How in the world does Maciej's local use of transparency affect Uriel?

Why is Uriel so concerned with what Maciej runs on his personal property?

Why has Kurt decided that it's important to try and save 4LOC worth's
of a patch and Xkb's worth's of memory on Maciej's personal pc?

Why is Kurt apparently loosing sleep over the eyestrain that may or may
not occur from Maciej's use of a transparent terminal? For someone who
claims to not care about what other people think, he sure does seem to
care about how other people choose to interact with their equipment.

The whole thing is absolutely bizarre to me.

I could see getting into a heated debate to the point of antipathy were
Maciej lobbying to encroach his transparency desires onto Kurt's and
Uriel's software; but there is absolutely _zero_ possibility of that
happening - there's no threat whatsoever; why so obstinate
and reactionary concerning other peoples' software interface?

(for the record, I don't like transparency in my terminals - but I only
knew that after I tried it for myself)

Now entering purely philosophical mode, continue at your own risk.

Tolstoy stated it well:

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing
himself.

... and Ghandi:

_Be_ the change you want to see in the world.

Is the suckless movement a free peoples' anarchy, or is it some sort
of collective nanny-state? (purely hypothetical, and definitely stretching
into non-technical territory; but I hope at least the basic gist of the
point is not thrown out with the bath water)

So like I said, from a purely social perspective, I find this whole thread
to be rather mysterious and quite fascinating. I've seen this sort of
thing before, it's really weird.

Uriel or Kurt - care to explain why you care so deeply about other peoples'
software habits? And do you really feel that it's like your duty or function
or purpose to rid the world of... transparent terminals or something?