Re: [dev] dwm

From: David Neu <david_AT_davidneu.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 10:23:37 -0400

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 4:15 AM, Petr Sabata <psabata_AT_redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 02:43:49PM -0400, David Neu wrote:

>> > Incorrect.  Your desires are based on a misunderstanding of dwm.  You
>> > have a 'layout' (this is floating, tiled, monocle, etc) and then you
>> > have 'tags'.  Tags are used to determine which set of clients to
>> > display.  Layouts are used to determine how displayed clients are
>> > arranged.  Reordering windows within a layout is pointless, because
>> > when you are displaying two tags, and then toggle a third, what
>> > determines in which order the newly-displayed clients are arranged?
>> > If you only display one tag at a time, you're not using dwm properly.
>> > If you want wmii, you know where to find it.  dwm's current interface
>> > is basically sound, and while people temporarily patch it up to make
>> > it act like a regular 'workspaces' window manager, most people I know
>> > eventually stop doing that as they realize how superior dwm's
>> > interface is.  There isn't really another program out there that has
>> > this functionality in such a clean implementation -- dwm is the
>> > standard dynamic window manager.
>> >
>> > --
>> > # Kurt H Maier
>> >

>> Hi Kurt,
>>
>> > If you only display one tag at a time, you're not using dwm properly.
>>
>> I've been using dwm for years, it sounds like I haven't been *fully*
>> using it, i.e. I haven't been making use of the ability to assign
>> multiple tags to a single client.  Can you give me an example how you
>> use this?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>>

> See your config file, look for TAGKEYS...
>
> --
> # Petr Sabata

Thanks for the reply, but I wasn't asking what key sequence to use,
but was asking for a description of the situations in which multiple
tags are useful. For example, if someone is frequently logged into
several remote machines, maybe the clients corresponding to each
remote machine are given the same tag.

Since I was obviously unclear in my original question, I'm still
interested if anyone has any comments?