Re: [dev] Why dwm or wmii over xmonad, etc., or not?

From: dtk <d.t.k_AT_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 01:10:58 +0200

Excerpts from Nathan Neff's message of Mo Mai 09 23:17:44 +0200 2011:
> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Nathan Neff <nathan.neff_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> >> 2.5) Easy / sensible defaults.  Sorry but Emacs-style "shortcut keys"
> >> are an oxymoron.  Any window manager
> >> that uses Emacs "Key Chords" is immediately disqualified.  With wmii you switch
> >> between windows and tags with 2 keystrokes max.  It's a no-brainer.
> >
> > The default shortcut to close a window is really bad. Something used
> > that often shouldn't be as complex as Mod-Shift-C.
> >

> That's a good point. I've remapped it to Mod-w (Like Apple's "Close Window")
yeah, I mapped it onto mod-q to stay in line with ctrl-q for quitting an
application and ctrl-w for closing gui sub elements like tabs etc.

will have to admit that I thought apple used something akin to that hierarchy with their
command-q and command-w keyboard shortcuts for quitting an application and
closing a window[0].

l8r
dtk

[0]http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343