Re: [dev] [ANN] sabotage 2011-04-30, a musl+busybox based distribution

From: Benjamin R. Haskell <suckless_AT_benizi.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 16:29:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 15 May 2011, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:

> On 13 May 2011, at 9:35 pm, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:
>
>> On 5/12/11, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
>>> A bit late but I thought it worth mentioning you don't even have to
>>> install Opera 11, just untar it and run in situ. I wrote a little
>>> script to cd to the highest-versioned dir matching ~/apps/opera-*
>>> and run the included script. I much prefer that to a package manager
>>> keeping track of where everything is.
>>>
>> I dislike package managers almost as much as everyone else on this
>> list (while I believe them to be the best feature of mainstream Free
>> distros (aside from hackability)), but seriously, wouldn't it suck
>> less to use a single link and get rid of the script?
>
> The included script relies on the basename of $0, so I'd have to
> rewrite it on every upgrade. This is what I have instead:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> cd ~/apps
> dir=`ls -t opera* | sed 1q`
> cd $dir
> ./opera

When installing a new version of Opera, just link the latest one to
~/apps/opera. Then you don't need the script, or it at least becomes
really simple. I assume your basename of $0 comment means the script
cares where it lives, so you can't just link it in ~/bin/ (ln -s
~/apps/opera/opera ~/bin/)?

#!/bin/sh
cd ~/apps/opera
./opera