Re: [dev] dwm taskbar icons via pcf font

From: Le Tian <tianeast_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 04:50:11 -0400

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Andrew Hills <hills.as_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Le Tian <tianeast_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > This method seems pretty nice, but somehow I still can't make my modified
> > font icons work, I made an icon under 0045 index, that replaced "E"
> letter,
> > but after setting the font in xterm via "setfont
> > /usr/share/fonts/myfancyfont.pcf.gz" and running echo -e "\x45", I still
> get
> > an "E" letter, as if nothing had been modified..(scratch).
>
> setfont is for VGA consoles, not xterm. Use `xset q' to ensure the
> font is on your font path and launch `xterm -fn [long-x-font-name]' to
> test it. You may want to use xfontsel instead, as that will let you
> browse the X server's available fonts.
>
> --Andrew Hills

yes, I checked this and when I "xterm -fn
/usr/share/fonts/my_fancy_font.pcf.gz"; "echo -e "\xA1"" to get my custom
icon, I get a (?) sign, so as it looks like impossible for xterm to show the
value of "A1"(that is my icon index number). My icon is not big, but takes
as much place as any other letter, so what could be the case in here? I also
tried to output "A1" via xsetroot, but that gave me an unreadable sign in a
taskbar.

1.So just to finish this thread, has anybody tried to make dwm taskbar icons
exactly the same way?
2.What method do you use then?
Thank you.

--