Re: [dev] Sandy editor

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 14:54:03 +0000

On 5/27/11, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be> wrote:
> how ironic you pledge for "sane" keybindings and suggest
> bindings optimized for qwerty users...
>
> I use dvorak, so I would prefer bindings optimized for that, but I
> realise different people use different layouts, so everyone should be
> able to choose how they like it.

'Up' shouldn't be bound to a character. Neither 'w' nor ','. It should
be bound to a button. That would usually be an arrow key between the
textpad and the numpad. My point is that keyboard translation tables
are at a lower layer than text editing. You shouldn't need to download
a different editor for your different keyboard layout; you merely have
to redefine some constants or edit a keyboard translation table.
BTW, does anyone know how to configure "latch keys" in Linux, i.e. how
to make it so that pressing and releasing the Shift button will affect
the following keypress? I like modifier keys, but detest pressing
multiple keys simultaneously.