Re: [dev] Sandy editor

From: Bryan Bennett <bbenne10_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:48:14 -0400

(Consider this my thoughts on a general text editor and not a
review of Sandy - I've not tried Sandy since I found it on the
Arch forums a ways back - long before being brought up here)

I've recently thought a lot about editors, as I'm not satisfied with
vi/vim and emacs chains are shitty beyond belief. I honestly think
a modeless editor (in the vein of a 'windows editor') but with sane
home-row keybindings would be the best of both worlds - the
efficiency of vi's hand placement paired with an ability to just edit
text that I feel vi (and ilk) lack. Some very important commands
(undo, cut, copy, paste, Save, Quit, Close) would not need to move
much from the Windows world, but we'd need to come up with
bindings for movement. I'd like ^j/^k/^l/^; for linewise movement
and another modifier for pagewise movement - possibly ctrl +alt?
but since ^j is return, we may not be able to do so without trouble.
(we'd also need to devise some system for "go to end of line" and
"Beginning of line")

Honestly, I dislike 'modal text editors' as I feel they make the task at
hand more difficult that it was to begin with. Sure there's a lot to be
said for the power they bring, but with some forethought and planning
I think that most of the power and all of the 'usefulness' of a modal
editor to a modeless one.