Re: [dev] Sandy editor

From: Rafa Garcia Gallego <rafael.garcia.gallego_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 03:34:14 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> Some things I've noticed:
>  1. Vertical movement doesn't take tabs into account for horizontal offset.

Yeah, that's the first item in my TODO list, yet I keep postponing it
even though it seems simple enogh. It also includes moving by
screen-lines rather than file-lines: when you have a very long line,
moving around it is so painful I sometimes even reach for the mouse.

>  2. The manpage seems incomplete -- it doesn't mention undo, for instance.

Will add, I see you have reformatted the page a couple of times.
Thanks for that. I don't really speak troff either, so I dont know
what is kosher.

>  3. The config.h undo/redo bindings seem really obscure, at least on
> my keyboard, and I couldn't actually get redo to work.
> (C-_ = Ctrl-Shift-Dash? C-^ = Ctrl-Shift-6?)

Well, those are the ASCII characters you have to produce. My keyboard
(fairly standard setxkbmap us altgr-intl -option ctrl:nocaps),
produces them as follows:
C-_ with Ctrl-/ and Ctrl-7
C-^ with Ctrl-6

If this were standard (though I'm afraid it won't be) we'd definitely
have to change the manpage to reflect it.

Thanks a lot for your input. And don't be shy about commiting changes
to the code :)

Other than that, I've recently pushed a way to repeat the last
insertion (or pipe) to tip. It took some SLOC, but it is quite cool
and binds to C-^ if there is nothing to redo. This lets you for
instance to have a pretty simple, modeless interactive
search-and-replace (or even search-and-pipe, which I seem to like
more) functionality: just search for some term with a regex, type the
replacement in (or pipe to obtain it), then search next and repeat the
insert or pipe. Heck, I we weren't so short of keybindings in the
default config, I'd even consider binding "repeat and find next" to a
single key.

Cheers,
Rafa.