Re: [dev] Suckless Smartphone?

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 15:39:44 +0100

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 12:45:24 +0100
Guilherme Lino <guih.lino_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> you could try a cheap phone and a cheap tablet
> and personally a person that spends more than a hour a on facebook doing
> "stuff"(talk to friends doesn't count) must have some kind of problem

The best communication setup I ever had was 2 devices; a Palm m515 and a phone with infra-red. I didn't really use the web back then but SMS suited me better than voice. The Palm's onscreen keyboard worked perfectly with the stylus; I could type really quickly, possibly beating the Zaurus's thumb-keyboard. That was a suckless screen: 160x160 pixels, color, and easily readable in _any_ light. :) Suckless OS too; PalmOS 4 really was instant-on, nothing else I've had has come close. I got a smartphone after that - an early Sony Ericsson which was useless both for reading and entering text.