Re: [dev] ideas on suckless file manager

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 01:09:38 +0100

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:13:28 +0100
Rob <robpilling_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> I like rox, I used to use thunar but it stopped loading thumbnails,
> which is the only reason I use a file manager, so I switched. IMO, rox
> without all the desktop-panel extras is good enough. When not looking at
> thumbnails though, coreutils do the job fine.

I wouldn't have thought of mentioning it on this list but if it's thumbnails you're after, I found Eagle Mode hard to beat. It's a medium-large C++ app but navigation is far faster than with any other file manager I've ever used and the file manager buttons all run simple Perl scripts. (Actually I think they can use any interpreter.) You can zoom right into pictures which is useful in cases where the thumbnail isn't so helpful.

As well as pictures it displays text files, although I don't find the columnar layout easy to navigate. Still, I've had quite a bit of use out of this feature.

The biggest problem is it's not so hot if you have a very large number of pictures in one dir; using it becomes less efficient. Conversely it can be good with extremely long text files.

It's also good for unpacking archives, I much prefer its zoom-to-unpack to mucking about with tar (or especially zip,) although it's not as clean as p9's `hget url | gunzip | tar -x`.